Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day trip to Cuyamaca


hello!

Yesterday I went on a trip to Cuyamaca State Park to celebrate my Grandma Crazylady's birthday (yes, she knows we call her that, it's a nickname). So we left at about 10:00 on Saturday morning. Cuyamaca is a nice place, kind of like Idyllwild. A fire went through there a few years ago so it is kind of charred, though still pretty. So, back to the story We had been driving for about an hour and a half when we reached the small town of Santa Ysabel. It is a tiny town. The whole town is about 5 buildings. It is known for a bakery there called Dudleys. The bakery smells the best and has really good fresh bread. We bought five loaves! Then we went into a tiny antiques shop that also sells olives. After that we got back on the road.

The next tiny town we entered is called Wynola. It is about the size of Santa Ysabel with about 7 buildings. In Wynola there is even a one room school house. We also got some fresh apple cider. It is good!! Then we went into a bead shop. In the bead shop there was a gumball machine filled with beads. I put in a quarter expecting a handful, but it only gave me four. Oh well. At least they were pretty.

From Wynola, we continued into Julian. Julian is a town about the size of Pine Cove and Idyllwild put together. It was very old-fashioned. There were horse-drawn carriages, and street fairs. It was also very, very busy, so we didn't stop.

About ten minutes past Julian, we passed Cuyamaca Lake and continued on into the park where my grandparents are camping. We got there but they weren't at their campsite, so we went to the visitor's center to wait for them. They were very surprised to find us there. We hadn't told them we were coming. We went back to their campsite and had lunch, some cheese and the bread we had gotten at Dudley's.

I was eating my cheese when I saw a little ground squirrel nosing around our feet. He was so tame! I put some cheese on my finger and offered it to him. He slowly approached my finger, eyeing the cheese. I held very still as he nibbled the cheese from my finger.... and then bit my finger! I screamed as the blood ran down from under my fingernail. Never again will I feed a squirrel. For the rest of the day, my family kept saying things like "Hey Audrey, there's a rattlesnake! Why don't you feed it some cheese?"

Following the squirrel incident, whenever he popped his head out of his hole, I threw a rock at him. My aim isn't very good, though. We took a hike in the afternoon and found one of his friends dead on the trail. I didn't do it. But it made me feel better.

Along the trail, we found a horny toad no bigger than my pinky. I thought that was pretty cool, because horny toads (horned lizards) are endangered. After the hike, we came back and had the pumpkin pie we had made for a birthday cake. I love having dessert first.

Since grandma wasn't expecting us, she didn't have enough food for dinner. We went to a restaurant in our last small town, Descanso. I had a good meal of fettucini alfredo and we headed home.

Stay tuned for more- Audrey







No comments:

Post a Comment